IntelliSnap Configuration for Protecting CIFS Shares
Below I have put together a high level steps for configuring IntelliSnap with NetApp CIFS shares
Network Share IntelliSnap Backup for CIFS Shares
The MediaAgent version of the proxy computer must be the same or earlier than the MediaAgent version of the storage policy. The backward compatibility of the CIFS snapshot jobs is not supported
Configuring the NetApp Array Using Array Management
For IntelliSnap backups from Commvault software, add the NetApp storage array and its configuration information to the CommServe database.
Before You Begin
If you want to use only primary snapshots, then add a primary NetApp array.
If you want to use OnCommand Unified Manager (OCUM) and SnapVault or SnapMirror (that is, the secondary snapshots), then complete the following steps:
- Add the primary NetApp array.
Backup for CIFS Shares via Array Management for the NetApp Storage Array
To configure the Network Share IntelliSnap Backup for CIFS shares with the NetApp storage array via the Array Management application, first, add the NetApp storage array in the Array Management application. When you add the storage array, a deconfigured NAS client is added automatically in Client Computers with the IP address of the NAS server computer. You will then reconfigure the NAS client, add the network share, and create the subclient to back up your data.
Process to Configure the Network Share IntelliSnap Backup for CIFS Shares via Array Management
- Add the NetApp in the Array Management application.
- Reconfigure the NAS client.
- Enable IntelliSnap on the NAS client.
- Add the Network Share Backup.
- Create a Subclient.
Reconfiguring a NAS Client for the Network Share IntelliSnap Backup
This is a one-time procedure that you do after you add the storage array using the Array Management application.
- From the CommCell Browser, right-click the NAS_client, point to All Tasks, and then click Reconfigure.
Enabling IntelliSnap Backup on the Client
To use IntelliSnap backup, first, you must enable IntelliSnap on the NAS client.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers.
- Right-click the client, and then click Properties.
The Client Computer Properties dialog box appears.
- Click Advanced.
The Advanced Client Properties dialog box appears.
- Select the Enable IntelliSnap check box.
- Click OK.
To enable IntelliSnap backup of a storage virtual machines (SVM) CIFS path through the containing cluster, you must tunnel the vServer through the cluster client. If the vServer is not tunneled through the cluster client then the backup operation will fail.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers, right-click a client computer, point to All Tasks, and then click Add Network Share Backup.
The Modify Network Share Backup dialog box appears.
- In the Network Share area, clear UNIX, and then click OK.
A Windows file system agent is added under the NAS client.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > NAS client > file system, right-click defaultBackupSet, point to All Tasks, and then click New Subclient.
The Subclient Properties dialog box appears.
- On the General tab, in the Subclient name box, type a name.
- From the Proxy Client list, select a Windows proxy computer.
- Click the Content tab, and then click Add Paths.
The Add Multiple Contents dialog box appears.
- Type CIFS paths that belong to the client, and then click
The Impersonate NT User dialog box appears.
- In the Impersonate NT User dialog box:
- In the User Account box, type a user name.
- In the Enter Password box, type a password.
- In the Confirm Password box, type the same password, and then click OK.
- On the Subclient Properties dialog box, click
The Advanced Subclient Properties appears.
- Click the IntelliSnap Operations tab, and then select the IntelliSnap check box.
- The Available Snap Engines list becomes available, select NetApp, and then click
- Optional: From the Use Proxy list, select a proxy computer for IntelliSnap operations. For more information on proxy computers, see Proxy Computers for Network Share IntelliSnap Backup.
- On the Subclient Properties dialog box, click the Storage Device
- Select a Storage Policy from the drop down list, and then click
- Click OK.